St Anne’s is a Roman Catholic church built in the 18th century (between 1725 and 1732) in the Baroque style. Many people consider the church (above all in its interior) as one of the most beautiful churches in Budapest.
The history of the church goes back to the year of the liberation of the city from Turkish rule in 1686, when the Servite Order were given permission to build a church, together with a monastery, on the site of a former Turkish mosque. The church and monastery were completed in 1732. Today however only the church building remains, surrounded by public buildings and offices. Unfortunately the monastery buildings were damaged during the 2nd World War (1939-1945) and never rebuilt afterwards. Under the communist regime (1948-1990) a Post Office prefabricated building was erected on the site of the former monastery and today unpleasantly hems in the rear portion of the church, as can be seen in the adjacent Városház Street.
The façade and beautiful bell-tower were remodelled in 1871 and today urgently require renovation. The remaining parts of the church are by and large original. The large reredos painting above the main altar depict the Virgin Mary as a young girl in the company of her parents St Joachim and St Anne. The latter, of course, is the patron saint of the church. Other notable features include the elaborate pulpit with the accompanying statues of the 4 Evangelists: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. A number of details are related to the Servite Order, whose priests looked after the church up until 1960. These include a painting of the 7 Holy Founders of the Servite Order, which can be seen on the right-hand side of the nave, nearest the altar, and then a statue of St Peregrine (1260-1345), the patron saint of people suffering from cancer-related illnesses.
Other important statues near the altar depict St Stephen of Hungary (998-1038), first king and patron saint of Hungary and founder of the Hungarian State; St László or Ladislaus (1046-1095), King of Hungary; St John the Baptist; and St Joseph, husband of Mary and Patron of the Universal Church. On the left side of the nave nearest the altar is a large painting showing the Archangel Raphael guiding the young man Tobias on his journey to discover his life’s vocation and a holy marriage (cf. Old Testament, book of Tobias). Also on the left side of the nave is a popular statue of Our Lady, which has attracted the attention and piety of the faithful from the earliest history of this church.